Sunday, January 29, 2012

A January Day...

The IWG (International Women's Group) that I belong to toured The Royal Palace in Warsaw's Old Town. Though Mark and I toured this site on my birthday about 6 months ago, I thought I would still learn something and enjoy going again. 
I was not disappointed...
It was quite a snowy day...I took a new tram, and was so proud of myself for doing so....until I found out I had taken the tram going the wrong direction.  But eventually I made it to the Royal Palace.
When I came up the stairs and saw the old town square...I thought this site was spectacular! It was incredibly quiet, and white, white everywhere...hardly anyone in sight!
The Christmas tree caught my attention, as it was January 18th...
I have learned that many Christmas decorations stay up until the end of January here. 
In spite of taking the wrong tram, I made it into the palace just in time to join my group. 
In June, Mark and I took a self-guided tour of the palace.  This time we had a tour guide. 

The Royal Palace in Warsaw is a monument to Polish history and culture. What amazes me is that this building did not exist 30 years ago...It was destroyed, along with most of Warsaw, at the order of Hitler during the German occupation here in WWII.  It was very sad to hear about what happened.

But the people of Poland and others helped to rebuild it...to remember and honor a long period of Poland's history.

It was so interesting to observe things on this trip that I had not noticed in our trip in June.
 In so many rooms I noticed very interesting clocks.  Here is an interesting clock on one of the fireplace mantels. The clock is actually on the chariot wheel. 
 I hadn't really noticed the beautiful wood floors on our previous visit. But today they really caught my attention. The patterns changed from time to time but they were all so beautiful!

 What looks like a large black urn is really another clock...in the gold band near the top there are Roman numerals for the hours, and a snake that drapes around the urn and points to the current hour!
Another interesting clock on a mantle...the clock is in the center of this little statue...this time the hour numbers are in the white band near the top.
I love seeing familiar places in and around Warsaw..but now surrounded by the white snow...
it was cold, but so beautiful!
 As I left the Royal Palace, I noticed a few more people were out and about. 
 The other side of the large Christmas tree, in January.

Coming across the open area of Old Town was a group of children that looked like they were on a field trip.  I have seen many groups of children here in Poland and I smile each time...wondering where they are going.
I think children are the same everywhere...excited, laughing, and having fun outside of the classroom!


 Since coming to Poland and not working, I get the chance to have lunch or dinner with Mark in town. I try to meet him once a week...so today was a perfect time!

It can be an adventure traveling but I have learned to travel quite well on the buses, trams and metro rails.

This was the first time I had seen the area near Mark's office  blanketed in snow...it was grey, foggy, and white...but quite beautiful too!


 I had never seen the Cultural Palace without seeing the clock at the top...but today there was
so much fog that seeing the clock was impossible!

 One would really have to like white, black and grey to appreciate these scenes...but I think they are beautiful!
I like this view from Mark's office...it is one of the first sights I remember from coming to Warsaw last February...though there was no snow then.  A year ago this view seemed so foreign to me...but now it is very familiar! 
At the far end of this picture, where the trees in the middle come to an end is where I get off the Metro and walk towards Mark's office and the mall. I make this walk quite often...I didn't realize the distance but from this view it looks like I get quite the exercise!
On my way home now, here is the 2nd set of steps -54 of them- leading down to our home...all covered with a lot of snow! The sand/salt had not been scattered yet but I made it down safely! I am happy to say we have not had one slip or fall!
 Lots and lots of snow... for me it continues to be a new adventure.
I am always grateful to be in our nice, cozy home...especially after being outdoors in the cold.  
This week (Jan 29) our temps are going to be 0 F for lows and 6 F for highs...I can't imagine what that will feel like...but I will soon find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment