Friday, January 4, 2013

Getting Ready for December days...

Our blog has much catching up to do . . . . 

Christmas 2012 began early for us ….we started putting up our Christmas tree mid-November!  I had planned to decorate and put up our tree prior to our 2-week trip to the U.S., December 1-15…but didn't realize we would have it up so early!  Mark does the lights on our tree… so he brought the tree up from our basement when he knew he could work on it.
Mark said,  "We are probably the only family in ALL of Warsaw that has a tree up on November 17th!"  Most Poles don't put up their tree up until Christmas Eve or just before…. but ours was up a full week before Thanksgiving (which isn't celebrated in Poland).
Mark always does a great job in stringing our Christmas lights….though he hates the job because it gives him backaches!  One day we will get a pre-lit Christmas tree.
I absolutely love the Christmas tree ornaments we have…they tell stories….and memories flood through my head as I decorate and recall…places, friends and family!
Our tree was complete and lovely, and what fun it was to begin turning on the lights each November evening. One afternoon around dusk I was pulling in the garbage can from outside, and a young boy and his mother were riding their bikes in the neighborhood.  I heard the little boy say, "Oh Mom, look…. a Christmas tree!" Brought a smile to my face!

A few of my favorite things around our home in Warsaw….a nativity set from Jerusalem given to Mark and me by our Melissa.
I love the "M's" and "J's" we have on our tree…. whether they are for Mark and Jackie or Melissa and Jamie…they bring sweet reminders of family.
I love my simple Willow Tree Nativity…I do not have many pieces…but I love the simplicity they bring no matter where I place them in our home.

My newest nativity this year…a wood carving from Poland! Wood carvings are a very popular handicraft by folk artists here in Poland…I like this particular piece because it's very Polish, and because the eyes give the figures character and cheer.

Mark brought me this Polish Nativity from his first trip to Warsaw in November 2010. I love it because it represents when we first started planning for living in Poland. 
I love my Santas...
….and my wintry snowmen...
I absolutely love the Christmas season, and whether I am in the US or Poland…
….the spirit of Christmas can be felt in our home.

On the last weekend of November we had a special friend visit.  Claire from Scotland came back to Warsaw, and how lucky for us…she came to our home!  
We loved having Claire in our home for brunch, a walk and a visit…we miss her but were so happy to make connections once again in Poland!

We also went to visit another of Mark's co-workers…Agnieszka and her little son Karol. Since Claire lives in Aberdeen, she had not seen Agnieska pregnant, or her new baby.  So lucky us, we returned to visit this sweet family once again.

On the evening of the last Saturday in November (24th), Mark and I attended the Scottish Caledonian Ball in Warsaw.  We were invited by Mark's business associate David, from Scotland….the same man who invited us to the Robert Burns Supper last February.
We had a lovely, delicious meal which began, once again, with haggis.  I actually liked the haggis this time.  It was served in between 'neeps and tatties…a common way to refer to the Scottish dish of turnips and potatoes.  The presentation and the taste were really quite good!
This is the dessert….I really don't know what to call it…raspberries, drizzled with dark chocolate, oatmeal sprinkles…and the white treat in the corner…it wasn't ice cream, or yogurt…but it was tasty for sure. 

During November I walked twice a week at the Kabaty Forest…I knew I would be leaving for the states and with winter approaching there would be much less time for walking here after I returned.
Here are a few ladies I have enjoyed walking with this fall…the person in the red jacket is the original leader of this walking group…her name is Liisa and she is from Finland. She and her husband lived in Warsaw for 4 years but have now been transferred to London. I have enjoyed my weekly walks in the forest, but have enjoyed mostly walking with Liisa and other ladies from many different countries. I will miss Liisa!
November was filled with great events, simple events and time preparing for our trip to the U.S. and the Christmas season. I love this time of year and I am so grateful for all that Mark and I are experiencing here in Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment