Friday, April 5, 2013

Spring is Just Around the Corner….

The first picture below was taken the week of March 11-16….one full week before spring officially arrived in Warsaw.  

I've previously mentioned on this blog that Mark and I walk this path almost daily…sometimes twice.  It is a good workout for our hearts.  This first set of stairs is 57 steps, and there's a second set that can't be seen from here that has 27 steps….Hey, if you walked these steps every day for 2 years, you'd count them too!

As I left our home and ventured outside this morning, I looked up from the bottom of the steps and saw the blue sky.  After the gray Warsaw winter it was a breathtaking, spectacular sight.  I was so happy!  I just know I was smiling!
With the beautiful blue sky stretching across the horizon it just felt like spring would soon be here…even if the land around us was blanketed in white! 

I was on my way to visit the National Museum again with a small group of ladies from the International Women's Group here in Warsaw.  It was my second visit to the museum.  The first visit was last October when I learned about a few Polish artists. 
For my second visit, we toured the newly opened Contemporary Art sections inside the museum….with paintings, sculptures and art forms from the 20th and 21st centuries.

A few of my favorite and interesting pieces…

The Polish Flag

A Polish sculptor created this interesting piece "Mary Magdalene".

A Christmas Altar created by Jan Szczepkowski in 1925.

My favorite….perhaps because tulips are my favorite flower.

"The Queue Goes On" created in 1956

"The Manifesto"  created in 1949-50

Here are the women with whom I toured the museum.
These small field trips around Warsaw are enriching.  I learn about people, the history and culture in so many different ways.  These are great experiences!

On my way home the sun went away and the gray winter clouds returned.  It is the middle of March in these pictures and we still have much snow.

At the top of the stairs, overlooking our neighborhood….

 ….then the last part of my journey home. 
 I like when the steps in front of me are sanded and cleared of snow!

At the end of the week, we had another beautiful, blue sky day.  Mark and I decided to take a Saturday morning walk in the Arkadia Park.  It is interesting to watch the birds swim and navigate around the parts of the pond that are not frozen….
….or to watch them walk on the ice.  They will go anywhere to eat the bread that people like the woman in the picture below throw to them.  It looks like the two swans have returned after being gone for the winter.

We enjoyed walking the paths but also seeing the Polish people outdoors….below is a person is cross-country skiing….
….and more bird feeders and walkers….
….a father sledding with his child....
….someone walking a dog, a popular activity here.

The sun was bright!
 I should have brought my sunglasses like Mark!

This is the Krolikarnia Museum….a former palace that sits atop the higher part of the city that overlooks the park.  In a few weeks, after the leaves return to the trees, only the domed roof of the museum will be visible.

The picture below was one of my favorite scenes of the day…a Polish man basking in the sun on a bench in a snow-covered park!
The Polish people love being outside in the sun, and it doesn't matter that there is snow all around….just enjoying the sun is a treat!

Yes there was a lot of snow.  But with the sun shining brightly we just knew it would be melting soon…."Or so we thought" she said, foreshadowing the next blog.

It was a beautiful day and how lucky we are to have this park so nearby to enjoy….no matter the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment