Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Wednesday Afternoons….

For the past 3-4 months, I have spent a good portion of my Wednesdays serving at the Family History Center in Warsaw Poland. I travel by tram for 45 minutes, then work at the Center for four hours. After getting off the tram I walk by this beautiful park. It has been a delight for the past few weeks to see it transform as Fall moves into Warsaw!

There are only two Family History Centers in all of Poland…and one of them is located inside the Wolska Chapel in Warsaw.  After arriving each Wednesday I open the church building and the Family History rooms inside, and then prepare for Patrons to come and research their ancestry.



There are about 6-7 people who take turns on given days hosting the Family History Center. I am the only non-Polish-speaking person who works here….but somehow I manage to help the people, answer the phones, and answer questions…using my very little knowledge of Polish!

In the reading room Patrons can look at microfilms and spend hours and hours reading, researching, and making notes from the historical records on the films.  Some even bring nice cameras and take photographs of what they are reading. 

Sometimes the people come for the first time, and lucky me…. I get to show them how to load the microfilm on the reader and use it properly….all by demonstrating and speaking a little Polish! The Polish people are so kind…and they try to speak to me in English to the extent they know how.

The Patrons order the microfilms online and come to the Center to view them.  When the films arrive I help to register each one. 

I compare the list of films in the shipping order to what has been received, and then record online which films have been received.  

The Patrons meanwhile, have been checking online to see if their films have arrived.  When they see the films listed as "Checked In", they are excited and soon call or come by, ready to search for information about their ancestors.

After processing the microfilms, I organize the films in small drawers according to the Patrons' surnames. In the picture below I am wearing two layers of jackets.  It is cold in the Center at this time of year…and it's only the beginning the beginning of Fall!

I use a lot of sticky notes to note everything that does not match up 100% with the orders.


Here I am with the director of the Family History Center and my sweet Polish friend…Magda!
She is wonderful!  Months ago Magda asked me if I would consider serving at the Center one day a week.  Since then, Magda has shown me how to do numerous tasks in the Center.  Although she speaks English, she has to trust me to do things correctly even though I do not speak Polish!
I try to be kind and welcoming to the patrons, and to help them…I love it when I can answer their questions and help them find what they need. 

The people who come to the Family History Center are interested in learning about their ancestors.  They are motivated by a shared and special pursuit….and Warsaw is fortunate to have a place where people can discover their family members that preceded them in life. 

I enjoy serving at The Family History Center…and just maybe my Polish will improve during my time here.

This past week as I got off the tram, I looked at the park next to the church and saw these beautiful trees.
I feel so lucky to come here each Wednesday afternoon…..
….and in a very small way feel like I am helping a few people in Warsaw!


















No comments:

Post a Comment