Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Just a Saturday in Poland...

It was a cloudy, fall Saturday without any major "have-to-dos"….so once the sun came out, Mark and I decided our date would be lunch at a new restaurant. We often pass this corner cafe/restaurant "Papu" on our way downtown and have often said we needed to stop by and eat there.

On the weekends Mark likes to drive our little blue Skoda. 
 Having a car in Warsaw can have a few advantages, but it is often a BIG challenge to find a parking place. We drive around looking for a place to park, and when we can't find one…we park like everyone else does…. 
….on the sidewalk!  Or at least straddled across it.  After a few minutes of searching for a parking place we found a little spot for our little car…then walked a short distance to the restaurant.
 The restaurant was quaint and quiet…and we loved sitting by the window as the sun shone through on our table. Mark studied the menu and I noticed the flowers…even a fallen autumn leaf was added to the real flowers on our table. 
 The restaurants in Warsaw often provide large utensils.  What appears to me to be a serving spoon is actually my soup spoon! I showed Mark the spoon and thought it looked even bigger than my mouth!
Seriously?
 I enjoyed my sour cucumber soup (only using the tip of the spoon because it was SO big) and Mark enjoyed his pumpkin soup.
 Isn't this an interesting slice of bread?  This is the heel of the loaf, and it almost looks like there are little stones stuck on the ends of it! The Polish breads often have many seeds scattered throughout or on top of the breads…and are actually quite good! Since my braces are now off (6 months already) I can enjoy some of these interesting and tasty Polish breads.
 We rarely eat red meat here in Poland…and hardly ever steaks…so Mark especially enjoyed this treat!
 A waiter was so kind and asked if he could take our picture…so much easier than taking it ourselves!
We left the restaurant after a good meal, and good conversations.  It was a delight to relax on a Saturday afternoon in a quiet place and enjoying our meal together.

Next…our errand to Real…a big grocery store where we shop usually once a month. While in the produce section…I found "dynie"- pumpkins!  It was the first time I had ever seen pumpkins  in Poland….the sign on the display even said "Halloween"!
I love Saturdays…for many reasons...one of which is because Mark and I can be together a little more. We always find something interesting on our outings…whether we are shopping, going on errands, or relaxing at a restaurant…the time we have together is very good ! 

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! I loved your post because NOW i KNOW why Michal uses such LARGE spoons for his breakfast cereals and soups. It is totally a Polish thing!

    ReplyDelete