Sunday, September 9, 2012

Saturday Time with my friend Małgosia

Last Saturday (Sept. 1) began with my friend Małgosia coming to my home for a few hours to learn how to tie a baby quilt.
In just a few short weeks, she will become a grandma (babcia) for the first time and travel to the US to help her daughter. I invited her to my home to teach her how to make a tied baby quilt for her new little soon-to-be-grandson. 

Upon coming to my home, she brought me two gifts...a bouquet of pink asters...and an edible sunflower! She is so kind!
The pink flowers have been so pretty in our home...and she taught us how to pick the seeds out and eat this sunflower. These sunflowers are popular snacks at this time of year.
Małgosia showed how to tell if the sunflower would be ripe and good to eat...the backside should be yellow...not green or brown. Mark and I have seen people selling these sunflower heads at the small food stands and also we have seen people eating these as they are walking the streets of Warsaw.
I have helped my mom over the years tie many baby quilts...but I had not done one on my own. I had a pvc quilt frame and had even brought baby printed fabric to Poland...thinking I just might make a baby quilt one day here in Poland. 
I taught Małgosia the steps to tying the quilt and together we went to work. 
I learned that Warsaw does not have fabric like we easily can buy in the US...so it was especially fun to share this fabric with her.
We finished the edges with a very simple stitch and before we knew it...the quilt was complete!
I love this sweet picture with my dear friend!
Małgosia said...it is funny to think...you bought the fabric in the US, we make the quilt in Poland...and I will return the quilt to the US! I loved sharing time with a special Polish friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment