Saturday, March 9, 2013

Women's Day in Warsaw….2013


 Friday, March 8th….Women's Day in Warsaw!

 The day is actually International Women's Day…honoring and celebrating women in different ways. Women are often given flowers or small gifts and treats, and often taken out to dinner.  The women who work in Mark's office were given beautiful flower arrangements. I heard they were delighted!

It's curious that I never heard of International Women's Day until I moved to Europe.  In the U.S. we have Valentine's Day and Mother's Day….and so do other countries.  But many, or most, other countries also celebrate women on International Women's Day! 

I like this idea a lot...and wonder since it is an international day, why it is not celebrated in the U.S.?  For me this will be a day to always remember…I hope Mark agrees.

On most days I am away from our home and outside for a while or all day long.  But on Women's Day this year , I found myself with no errands, appointments, shopping or projects that took me away from our home.  It was great being home!  I love our home here in Warsaw….I love learning, relaxing, and doing all kinds of work here.

I did go outside in the evening though….to meet Mark for a dinner date at Trattoria Casa Mia, a great little Italian restaurant in the Centrum area.  Mark met me at the restaurant as it is very close to his office.  Mark greeted me with a beautiful bouquet of white and yellow tulips!  They were fun to receive and we enjoyed them in our home….a simple reminder that spring is just around the corner….or so we thought!
We have eaten at this restaurant before…but never just the two of us.  So it made coming here a great date!  The food was delicious and the restaurant was charming….and bustling with other customers celebrating Women's Day. 

We left the restaurant with tiny snowflakes blowing into our faces….there had been four days of non-snowy weather and all of the previous snow had melted away.  It was snowing all the way home….both on the tram, and as we walked towards our home. 
 Little did we know that this was just the beginning of several more weeks of wintry, snowy weather!  Oh to live in Warsaw in March!  There is saying in Poland that March weather is like a pot of boiling soup….that all kinds of weather are mixed in during the month.
Thank you Mark for treating me quite special on this Women's Day in Warsaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment