Sunday, February 24, 2013

Visiting my Polish Teacher…Ula in Pruszków

My Polish teacher Ula has become a special friend to me.  I have enjoyed our twice-weekly conversational lessons that have challenged me as I have learned to read, write and speak in Polish.
I am a slow learner when it comes to understanding and speaking the Polish language.  I practice, do my homework, and work on a variety of Polish activities….but I still don't always remember what I have learned.  But I am grateful for these lessons and can say that I know so much more than last year.

Ula was going to be on a medical leave for at least 6 weeks and I would be having a new Polish teacher during that time.  In one of the lessons before her leave, Ula proposed that I visit her at her home.  It would be an adventure because she lives in the little town of Pruszków outside Warsaw, and I would need to travel on a regional train to get there.

Ula was clever….she incorporated this invitation into our lessons as she drew maps, showed me where she lived, and told me how to buy a train ticket….all in Polish.  I practiced asking questions, and retelling her how I would travel to her home….all in Polish!

I thought I would enjoy visiting my teacher…my friend….but to travel outside of Warsaw?  On a regional train that I was not familiar with.…to buy tickets only speaking Polish…all by myself? 
I wasn't so sure I could do this.

A few weeks after her leave began I received an e-mail from Ula, saying she was ready for visitors, and  inviting me to her home.  I readily responded "tak" (yes)!  I was amazed at my quick response…and then just moved forward with planning the visit.

The day before my trip to Pruszków I walked through the train station tunnel to the ticket window…to purchase 2 one-way tickets….while speaking only Polish!  When the clerk gave me the tickets she said something else…I'm not sure what she said but I smiled and said "dziękuje"...thank you.  I was so HAPPY…I had made a purchase in Polish, and it was a success!

On the day of my visit I walked past the ticket window to the train stop.  This is a regional train…there are no electronic schedule boards showing departures or arrivals.  I had to refer to a painted sign above the ticket window to know the departure times.  Not wanting to miss the train, I arrived 10 minutes before departure.
After 17 stops in less than 30 minutes….I was in Pruszków!  The first thing I noticed in Pruszków was the blue, blue sky….something I had not seen in Warsaw for a few weeks!
Ula said she would meet me at the train stop…and as the train pulled away I did not see her.  So I pulled out my hand drawn map, took a look, and decided to text her to let her know I had arrived. Ula was at the train stop after all…and when she didn't see me she worried that I had missed the stop and was still on the train….but within seconds we saw each other.  Happy day!
We walked a short distance to a block of apartments. She and her husband live in the farthest building back in the picture below.
We had a wonderful visit for the next 2 hours….listening, talking and reconnecting after a good month of not having lessons. It was a treat for me to be in her home and visit. I thought we would be speaking mostly in Polish…but our conversations were mostly in English!
I felt as if I were one of Ula's "visiting teachers", which is something we do in our church…visit and spend time with other ladies each month.  We had no agenda…we just ate and talked.  It was fun to visit Ula in a different setting and see her beginning to feel stronger. 
I had made some chicken tortilla soup for Ula and her husband, and was glad when she later e-mailed to say that they enjoyed it.

We posed in Ula's home…letting the camera capture our little visit.
 

Near the end of our visit we walked through a lovely park in wintry white…and bypassed the Pruszków station until we came to the next train station. Ula stayed with me until the train back to Warsaw arrived.  As I boarded the train, I knew I could do this again.

Ten days after my first visit, I visited Ula again.  She is feeling better and stronger.  We visited, ate some snacks and after a fast few hours it was time for me to go home.

As I said good bye to Ula…my teacher…my friend…I had a happy heart. I was glad I could have these new experiences, doing something challenging…but especially being able to help someone by visiting her.  I was blessed on both visits and had a very grateful heart as I journeyed back to Warsaw.




No comments:

Post a Comment