Thursday, April 5, 2012

Braces...

Happy Day for me....my braces came off this week!

When Mark and I received the offer to come to Poland, one of my BIG concerns was....that I was wearing braces.  I had just had my one-year anniversary of wearing them, and I was scheduled to have them for another year-and-a-half.
When I voiced my concern to friends, they frequently said not too worry..."Don't be silly," some said....and was assured that there would be good orthodontists in Warsaw, Poland....mostly by people who had never been out of the U.S.!

"Stomatologia" signs are seen all over Warsaw...when I first arrived I used to think there were a lot of "stomach" doctors here.  I soon found out that "stomatologia" is another word for "dentistry"! 
Our wonderful Relocator, Kasia took me to the Aster-Med clinic during my 1-week visit in February 2011 and then again in July after I permanently moved here.

There I met Dr. Joanna Mrowiec, who would be my excellent orthodontist for my last 10 months of wearing braces.

To get to the clinic, I would walk 15-20 minutes, catch a bus and arrive at the office less than 10 minutes later.  I loved having the orthodontist office so close to our home!

I had more than 10 visits to Aster-Med and I have been very pleased with Dr. Mrowiec and her team. Dr. Mrowiec was very conservative with my treatments and even apologized a while back when she said she wanted me to keep my braces on a little bit longer. 

But we knew they would be removed soon.  When I arrived for my visit this past Tuesday, April 3, I said to Dr. Mrowiec, "If you think it is time for my  braces to come off, I would first like a picture of you and me with the braces still on."

She looked over my teeth carefully....
and in a few minutes she smiled and said, "Let's take a picture!"
"Prawda (really)?" I asked.  "Tak (yes)!" Dr. Mrowiec replied. 
So here I am in the waiting room, getting one more picture with my braces.  I was excited but a bit nervous too...after all, I had worn these braces for 31 months!  I had learned to feel comfortable with them...to smile, talk and let them be a part of me.

I was a good patient...and sat very still while the permanent retainers were attached, the braces and brackets removed, the glue vigorously scrubbed off, the teeth cleaned and polished, and more pictures taken.
Here I am just outside of the orthodontist's office....with a new smile and permanent retainers attached to the back of my upper and lower front teeth.

Looking at myself in the mirror is strange.  I like it...but it is like getting a new hair cut...it takes time getting used to the change!
The next evening I returned to Aster-Med to get my retainer that I will wear each night.  I have worn the retainer once and it also will take some getting used to. 

I have tried to be a good orthodontic patient...and will continue to be, though wearing braces and a retainer are not comfortable. 

I have a greater appreciation for anyone who has ever worn braces and retainers...including my own children Melissa and Jamie.  I have also learned that over time, with patience and diligence....small sacrifices and small adjustments can result in BIG changes!

Thank you to Dr. Phang in Houston and Dr. Mrowiec in Warsaw for helping me with my orthodontic care!

2 comments:

  1. I remember the "braces off" day well. I looked in the mirror and thought WOW those are big teeth and a lot of them! Your smile is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's nice they attached a permanent one to your front teeth. I got my braces off in high school and was not a faithful retainer wearer and my front top teeth shifted. I wish I would have been better and more vigilant about it. Luckily, since I had a permanent retainer on the back of my bottom front, they are still perfect (and I still have my retainer attached 15 years later despite the dentists dislike!) Enjoy your new smile! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete